Sunday, July 13, 2008

Zig Zag Afghan



What would we do without Barbara Walker. Perish, plain and simple. Her Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns contains the code for the scrap-yarn-using afghan loved by Grannies 'round the world. Make one in strips for a portable project easy to lug around where ever you go. Sew it together later when the weather turns chill.

Multiple of 12 sts plus 3. Colors A and B

Row 1 (right side) with A, k1 ssk, *k9, sl2-ki_ p2sso: repeat from *, end k9, k2

Row 2 with A k1 *p1, k4, (k1, yo,k1) in next st, k4; repeat from *, end p1, k1.

Rows 3 and 4 with B repeat rows 1 and 2.

Barbara has a lot to say about colors and yarn choices, so I suggest investing in this book if you don't have it already. I use what ever I can get my hands on, doubling some yarns, mixing and blending others to get about the same heavy worsted weight. Choosing to use very fine yarn results in a feather-light wrap perfect for cocooning in. You can also change the stitch multiple for different widths of zig-zags. Possibilities!

4 comments:

craftivore said...

I have Knitting from the Top, but now this is on my list. Love your zig zags.

magnusmog said...

Great fun - I love knitting scrappy things :)

mary jane said...

I can't exist with out Barbara Walker! and aren't scrappy things the best?

Kri Kri said...

You make everything look beautiful! I'm sure that if I made that afgahn, or photographed it, I would want to hide it!