Monday, February 12, 2007

Project Spectrum: Blue Gray White

Since I don't have enough to do, I joined Project Spectrum to continue my love affair with color. This is a forum where crafters and others work with a trio of colors for 2 months. You already know how I love and almost worship A Year of Color, the group who work with a crayola crayon color for a week. Why not add another color challenge?

Here in the frozen north, blue gray and white are easy to come by in February and March. Challenging for me, was to create a project based on the colors. I was sort of all used up by those colors with my latest published sweater. What to do? I decided something instant would be most satisfying. Me and quickie projects...

So I made my Instant Mittens with just 1 yarn, Brown Sheep Lambs Pride Bulky. I fulled the mitten very slightly. Rather dull. So I lively-d it up a little with embroidery inspired by my favorite dish+valentines. Though the Shetland 2ply Jumper Weight from Jamieson and Smith was a little thick for the job, crewel embroidery yarn maybe would have been better, I'm pleased with the speedy results...now I have to make the other one.

Oh yeah, another loaf for 52 loaves! Thats 7!

8 comments:

Julia said...

Love the sweater,especially the flecks of olive green.

mary jane said...

Why thank you, the green is my favorite part too!

Gina said...

I may have said this before, but I think the Bauhaus sweater is marvellous. Yes those touches of green are spectacular.

mary jane said...

Thanks! The green is the "poison", the zippy little center line.

Petula Darling said...

This was my first view of the bauhaus sweater - I love it!
You are the Queen of Color!

Petula Darling said...

I forgot to tell you how sweet your mitten looks. It's all romantic winter-wonderlandy, sort of a cross between charming retro and a clean scandinavian look.
Sadly, I'd need to make mine in more of a rust color, since that seems to be the color that all of my mittens end up with after a couple wearings.

mary jane said...

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you all like the Bauhaus Fair Isle. I mean to do a post on it. I still have not seen the magazine and I heard the picture is a little small. I love that "bonus" picture at the Interweave website. I wish they'd used that one. Oh and Petula, I have some lovely rust colored yarn, you can have it if you attend the Cassoulet-Off!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Amazing that you just whipped that up!Lovely ,especially with the embroidery.