Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thank You Sally Mann

And thank you Alison, for taking me to Sally's lecture.
I've always loved her work, from the time I first saw it and it caused such a ruckus. I had kids younger than hers, and I too was living in the woods letting the kids run naked...not much thought to it...it was hot and no one was around...and if there was, they were friends, what's the big deal? Plus I loved her kids, their direct stares...the deep pools of their eyes. I was comforted to know someone else was making art just where they lived...Her art was right in front of her.... her life.
She's not a disappointment in person either. Small and spunky, yet large in feeling and mind. Words are not my strong suit, I wish I could describe her presence better. She was refreshingly normal, direct and honest...no pretense.
And she keeps at it, no matter what life throws in the way. A good spirit.

You'll be happy to know her kids turned out fine.

I leave you with my favorite Sally Mann image....if I have to choose....

Night Blooming Cereus

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've explained it beautifully well. And that photo takes my breath away.

Kristin said...

I wish I had gone. Sounds like an amazing night, and inspirational, too.

Julia said...

The photos look very atmospheric and thought provoking.Hope your camera is fixable...I'll miss your pictures.

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing way with words, I wish I could capture life in such a beautiful way with words. What a wonderful thing to share! Thank you for the tip on the Flickr Year in Color group, I loved it, and joined! Thank you for all the wonderful inspiration you sent my way!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Thank you for showing me something new! the name rung a familiar chord,but I was unaware of her work. Her 1988 exhibit sounds very interesting.

Eliza said...

Is this the photograph you were talking about? It is gorgeous. I know Sally Mann mostly from when she was at the center of a big moral argument in the early 90s. I was in high school and we loved to take the artists' side, esp in a case like this.