Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Cherry Blossom Time



I saw them!

My impulse was to take the bus, but a car with GPS was offered, so what the heck, the lovely voice of Ms GPS would guide me to the spectacle of the Cherry Blossoms. I imagined a leisurely walk along the Tidal Basin and through the parks under the graceful bows of the blossoming cherry trees.

It was fun driving in. Down through Georgetown, with all the wonderful architecture, it was hard to keep my eyes on the road. Past the Washington Monument and a glimpse of the Mall.

Then I saw them, curving around the Tidal Basin. I was under them...the blossoms nearly past, petals fluttering in the breeze like snowflakes...



The next thing I knew traffic sped up and I drove around in wild circles, honing in on parking lots I'd looked up online....only to find access was all blocked off...

I drove in larger circles hoping to find other parking...oops! ...almost into Virginia...oops! ... into an embassy's driveway...Now I was driving in zooming rush-hour, along with drivers hell-bent for home all going the wrong way in the street, which I guess must be fine at certain hours. I found it unnerving.

I gave up.
Tomorrow I'll take the bus, have that long relaxing walk and maybe visit some of the great places you suggested to me. Thank You so much, I really appreciate it!

4 comments:

Eliza said...

fun!
I haven't been in DC in YEARS, but that's one of the main things I remember about it: Lack of parking. I hope you can see the trees tomorrow! Our local ones should be blooming soon, and I'll search up our Botanical Garden passes and go visit. :)

magnusmog said...

Good luck tomorrow - the bus is so much more relaxing. I do some of my best thinking on public transport :)

Gudrun Johnston said...

Well I'm so impressed that you would even contemplate driving in DC!!! That would stress me beyond belief.....hope you get to experience the blossoms in slow time!

Marseille said...

IMO, your best bet is to drive to one of the Metro stops with parking (I tend to go for New Carrollton or College Park or Grosvenor/Strathmore), and take the Metro the rest of the way.....